Thursday, August 21, 2008

Nana Pickles

My kids LIVE for these, and they really couldn't be easier. Give them a try, I guarantee you won't be disappointed:)

2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
2 cups water
1 small onion, diced or cut into rings
1 quart of dill pickles (we usually get the baby dills)

Boil the sugar, vinegar and water for 1 minute. Let cool. Drain the quart of pickles. Cut the ends off of each pickle - I think this helps the flavor to penetrate. Put them back into the jar, layering onions often. Pour the liquid over the pickles, stick them in the fridge and let them sit for at least 24 hours.

It may seem like a pain for pickles, but these are worth it.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Nothinglikeit said...

Can't imagine what these taste like but I'm dying to try them.
Nothinglikeit

Colima said...

I tried this recipe this weekend! It is VERY sweet! Have you ever added jalepenos??? I was thinking I might try adding that and possibly garlic cloves and dill sprigs next time. I think it would duplicate a pickle that I tried before that was very spicy and sweet. Thanks for the inspiration!